Wednesday, February 1
beginning of class
25 exercise points)
- For the editing of these files, you are expected to
use a simple text
editor, such as NotePad, Notepad++, vim, emacs, nano, or the like.
uses GUI and WYSIWYG styles of creating web pages for you are
disallowed at this time. For EACH html file you create, be
- have the proper html, head and body structure.
- close all of your tags that need to be closed
- put your name in a "comment" at the top of the file
that includes the following information:
- your name
- the name of the editor you used to create the html
- an indication of any help you received in creating
- include an appropriate title (in
- check the file in at least two different browsers
(e.g. Firefox and Chrome)
0) Create a folder called TablesPlus.
1) INSIDE this folder, you are to
create 4 html files. Each file should have a relevant title,
your name in a comment and should be
- File # 1: named "pics.html" on
disk. This file should contain
at least two pictures, of your choosing. One picture needs
to be brought in from a website. The other needs to be an
image in this TablesPlus directory. (Feel free to download
one as useful.) Be sure to attribute
the source of your pictures on the page. Feel free
to add any
additional text you wish.
- Below the pictures should be a horizontal rule
(look it up).
- Below the horizontal rule should be the following
text. Note the bolds, underlines, italics, and line breaks.
This page was created for a homework
in the Spring
semester of 2017
at Longwood University.
- Have the words "Longwood University" be a clickable
hyperlink to the main Longwood web site.
- File #2: named
"books.html". This file should contain a table with
a border, and three rows and two columns.
Each row should have an author's name in the first column, and an
unordered list (in HTML terms) of
at least two of their books in the second column.
Extra Credit options:
- Include more authors in your list, by adding rows
- Give a summary of each book in a nested list item.
- File # 3: named "misc.html".
This file should contain a table with 3 rows and 3 columns
(border is up to you):
- Row 1, Column 1: a blue cell with the
- Row 1, Column 2: a white cell with the
- Row 1, Column 3: a red cell with the name
- Row 2, Column 1&2: the name of
your favorite television
show, centered, in a two column box
- Row 2&3, Column 3: the name of
your favorite singer aligned
vertically in the middle (ie, half-way between top and bottom) of the
taking up two rows. The box should be colored something other
blue, white, or red.
- Row 3, Column 1: Your favorite ice cream
color of your choice)
- Row 3, Column 2: a list of your favorite
pizza toppings. (background
color of your choice)
- File #4: named "index.html" on
disk. This page
should contain links to the other three pages, with format and
of those links up to you. You can also have
whatever else you wish
on this page.
2) Looking at code.
- In your browser, find the option to look at the page
source for this website. Understand everything that is in
there. Questions? Look them up, or come ask.
- Go look at the page source for the main course page.
Understand everything that is in there. Questions?
Look them up, or come ask.
- NOTE: I make no claims that this code is
GOOD code, but you should be able to understand 90% of it at
your folder to your account. I will be looking at
the following URL:
(replacing youruserid as